IMIYA BOARD MEETING
Thursday August 19, 2021 7-8 PM
President: Theresa Hartmann
Vice President: Joanne Pearson
Secretary: Rebecca Wallace
Treasurer: Darren Christensen
Membership Chair: Mandy Coates
Communications: Cecilia Huisman (incoming)
- Cecilia Huisman new board possibility – Welcome! Introduce ourselves. All members introduced themselves and gave a little background about their roles. Cecilia is a practitioner. She is a ski and mountain biking teacher. Originally from Argentina, Cecilia has lived in Roaring Fork Valley for the past 10 years.. She studies with Lois Steinberg via Zoom during COVID. One possible position would be Regional Rep/Communications.
- Roles/Duties of Board Members– Ease of continuity is important. How shall we define our roles for incoming members to our board? Templates for all board member positions would be helpful as members transition off and their replacement joins. . Perhaps each board member could list 5- 10 functions of their board role. Darren reminded new board members that each board is unique and that roles and responsibilities should depend on the way the current board chooses to function. He encouraged flexibility and not just doing as it has been done before.
- Scholarships – The process should be written/defined so that applications can be submitted, reviewed and monies can go out in an efficient manner and reasonable timeframe.
- Social Media coming from IYNAUS should be coordinated by Regional Rep.
Call with IYNW: Trademark Awareness/Web Person – Theresa Spoke with a board member who provided information in hopes of finding out more about their website. IYNW asked questions regarding Trademark Awareness.
- Scholarship Chairperson will need to be able to reach out to many members, including those in other states. Should not assume anyone’s need. In year’s past there have been few submittal requests via the IMIYA website. The previous chair sought out individuals for scholarships and stayed with them throughout the process. It was agreed that the next scholarship chair should be a CIYT. Previously the Board Secretary received incoming applications submitted through the IMIYA website. For now, this will stay the same. Mandy expressed interest in taking over this position after the membership drive and/or beginning in 2022. There was such momentum previously that she wants to keep it going. Rebecca will ask a previous scholarship chair if she could act in this role until Mandy takes over.
Continuing Education: Applicant opportunities … Coast to Coast coming up November 11-14th.
Teacher Training: Applicant possibilities
- Are address changes working for all? So far, those tried have worked. We are still getting used to the use of the board address which will help with future board members transitioning on and off the board.
- Share of financials/Update- Darren indicated there’s approximately $15,000 in the bank, with $6,000 approved for scholarships. IMIYA operating costs are approximately $2000 annually. Darren will provide a more detailed report near year end.
- The board looks forward to Gary R. considering the role as Treasurer. If possible, October would be a nice time to have him begin joining our meetings while Darren is still present.Gary R to attend meetings starting in October in order to transition when Darren steps down.
4) MEMBERSHIP (Mandy)
- Membership Update: Next steps to finalize/ zoom approach/teacher emails/date to begin…- Mandy would like
- feedback on the membership drive email “script” before it’s sent out. Theresa has a teacher’s list to share with Mandy. Mandy also has a list of contacts. All this will happen within the next week.
- Script will include “What is IMIYA?” and membership benefits
- Online Drive September/October TBD
- The board will continue to brainstorm ideas to build community during the months ahead with the pandemic continuing. Most studios are not fully open.
5) YOGA AND EQUITY (Joanne)
- Summary of Yoga and Equity meeting on 7/24 – Due to time, no report was given. This will be the first item on next month’s agenda. There will be two DEIJ meetings to report on.
6) WEBSITE (Rebecca)
- Update on website concerns/improvements so far/needs for future – Aaron Fleming with Flemcodesigns.com will be contacted regarding the possibility of helping IMIYA rebuild/redesign current website. He is a CIYT and designed the IYMW site. IYNW is also sending information regarding their web design person.
- Contact information: Inquires coming via the website will be received by and responded to by the board secretary.
- Durango:Telluride:Peonia (Delta Virus uptick) – trip may need to be rescheduled
- Native American Reservations – brainstorm
- Other Ideas?
- IMIYA FRIENDS – Brad continues to be helpful as well as Josh (both past board members)
- Willamarie in Sante Fe Is a friendly neighbor, linking us to teachers in her area and sharing her considerations for the board in the future. We appreciate her time in conversation.
- Theresa wrote an article for Samachar e-news (emailed to members August 19) reporting on IMIYA events. Her article can be found in the August 2021 edition under the Regions Update section.
Mission Statement: “The Intermountain BKS Iyengar Yoga Association is committed to serve the Iyengar yoga community, by offering both educational and financial resources to current Iyengar yoga teachers, Iyengar yoga students and the wider yoga community.”