IMIYA BOARD MEETING
Thursday October 28, 2021
President: Theresa Hartmann
Vice President: Joanne Pearson
Secretary: Rebecca Wallace
Treasurer: Darren Christensen
Scholarship: Peggy Berg
Membership Chair: Mandy Coates
Communications: Cecilia Huisman
Member: Gary Reitze
- WELCOME GARY- Gary was not able to join (possible technical issues)
- SAMACHAR article under “Regions” is in! THANKS PEGGY!
- IMIYA is still in need of a Regional Rep so our voice can be heard on the national level (IYNAUS), it’s possible that Mandy could fill this position
- Scholarships (ten to be awarded) Amounts will be $800 each
- Committee formed to review applications will be comprised of Peggy, Mandy and Darren
- Education- Continuing Education: Applicant opportunities – For now IMIYA’s efforts will be to award the 10 x $800 scholarships payable to either an Iyengar Yoga Studio or to a current CIYT who teaches Iyengar Yoga. The funds shall be used to assist serious students in their study of Iyengar Yoga. Application deadline is November 30th, and the committee would notify recipients by December 30th.
- Share of financials – Darren plans to convert financials to Quickbooks Online by February 2022, possibly sooner.
- Darren will prepare 2022 budget along with providing quarterly and year end reports
- Is it possible that Robin Thorpe would be interested in filling the treasurer position if Gary R cannot? Darren doesn’t think Robin would be interested.
- Former board member, Brad, sent a $500 donation
4) MEMBERSHIP (Mandy)
- Membership Update: There were 7 responses to the script, it seems that people are/were confused
- Online Drive November TBD, Highlight Senior Teacher…
- Discussion as to how IMIYA can reach non-Iyengar students in order to gain members
5) YOGA AND EQUITY (Joanne)
- Thoughts/Any updates?
- The Yoga Equity Page has been refreshed on the website per Aaron Fleming
6) WEBSITE (Rebecca)
- The website has seen improvements from Aaron Fleming’s work. We are still working together on the backend to possibly add more security (SSL certificate).
- IMIYA board members will have the opportunity to do some website training once all edits to website are complete, more to come from Aaron Fleming about this soon
- The board approved the funds (approx $900) for hiring Tracy Cooper to assist with targeted social media (Facebook & Instagram) as well as designing e-blasts for distribution on a monthly basis. IYNAUS has ramped up their social media efforts and has a dedicated person in this position.
7) OUTREACH/COMMUNICATION (Cecilia and Theresa)
- Cecilia and Theresa met in person and discussed teacher survey regarding IMIYA Workshops to highlight teachers
- SAMACHAR highlighted IMIYA in the current e-issue, this is the article Peggy wrote
- Cecilia will likely write a short update to submit to submit to Samachar for each issue as all regions that submit something are reported on
- IMIYA FRIENDS
- IMIYA hopes to sponsor a senior teacher to teach a workshop early in 2022
- Studio News… What studios have changed in our region as of now?
- Update Yoga Equity/Library – this is very out of date, more discussion next month to get ideas about what should be done with it
- New member for Mandy’s Membership Position still needed. Ideas? New Mexico Member?
Mission Statement: “The Intermountain BKS Iyengar Yoga Association is committed to serve the Iyengar yoga community, by offering both educational and financial resources to current Iyengar yoga teachers, Iyengar yoga students and the wider yoga community.”